The Elite 10k running training plan is for runners with a history of consistently running 50-60miles/week of training. You should be used to running 2-3 quality training sessions per week including intervals, hill running training, tempo/threshold training and have completed adequate aerobic base training including regular long runs.
Below the Elite 10k training plan is information about target paces, recovery periods and target heart rates for each session.
The Elite 10k plan can be run as either an 8-week plan, or, 12-week plan if you complete the initial 4-week conditioning phase. The conditioning phase is recommended to get the most from the elite 10k training plan.
Elite 10k Training Plan: Phase 1 (Conditioning Phase)
|Day||Week 1||Week 2||Week 3||Week 4|
|Mon||40-60 mins easy||REST DAY||REST DAY||REST DAY|
|Tues||*6 x 1600m at 10k Pace, 300-400m rec||*6 x 800m at 5k pace, 200m easy jog rec + 4 x 150m at Mile pace||*5 x 2000m at 10k pace, 400m jog rec||*12-14 x 300m (Mile / 3k pace), 75-90 sec easy jog rec|
|Wed||45-50mins easy||45-50mins easy||50-60 mins easy||35-40mins easy / recovery, or, REST|
|Thur||50-60mins easy / steady||60-70mins easy / steady||***55-60 mins inc 20min Tempo||60-70 mins easy / steady|
|Fri||REST DAY||*3 x 10mins at Threshold pace, 2-3mins jog rec||40-60 mins easy / recovery, or, REST||*3 x 12 mins Threshold, 3-4mins jog rec|
|Sat||**Hills – 12 x 45-60secs||40-60 mins easy / recovery, or, REST||**Hills 7 x 1:45-2:00, or, 14 x 45-60secs||REST DAY|
|Sun||90-95 mins easy pace||95-100 mins easy pace||100-105 mins easy pace||80-90 mins easy pace|
*Track, hills and threshold intervals include 10-15min warm up and a minimum of 5-10min cool down. See notes at bottom of page
**Hills: 1) 45-60s hills = 1500m/3k intensity, with jog down recovery. 2) 1:45-2:00 hills = 3k/5k intensity, with jog down recovery.
***55-60min inc 20min Tempo: gradually build the pace towards tempo pace e.g. 5mins easy, 10mins easy/steady, 5mins steady, 20min tempo, 10mins easy/steady, 5-10mins easy. Tempo pace should be between threshold and half marathon pace (see notes below training plan).
Elite 10k Training Plan: Phase 2 (Main Training Phase Part A)
|Day||Week 5||Week 6||Week 7||Week 8|
|Mon||40-60mins easy||REST DAY||REST DAY||REST DAY|
|Tues||3 x 3200m at 10k pace, 400-600m jog rec||6 x 800m at 3k pace, 400m easy jog rec + 4 x 150m at Mile pace||8 x 1200m (1-2% Faster than 10k pace), 200m jog rec||12-14 x 400m (Mile / 3k pace), 200m very easy jog rec|
|Wed||50-60 mins easy||40-60 mins easy / recovery||50-60 mins easy||35-40mins easy / recovery, or, REST|
|Thur||*60-70 mins inc 25min Tempo||70-80 mins easy / steady||*60-70 mins inc 25min Tempo||60-70 mins easy|
|Fri||REST DAY||4 x 10mins at Threshold pace, 2-3min rec||40-60 mins easy / recovery, or, REST||***10min Threshold + 3mins easy + 5x 2:30 10k pace + 3mins easy + 10min HMP|
|Sat||Hills 7 x 1:45-2:00, or, 14 x 45-60secs.||40-60 mins easy / recovery, or, REST DAY||**10min Tempo Hills +3mins easy +10min HMP +3mins easy +10min Tempo Hills + 3mins easy +10mins HMP||REST DAY|
|Sun||100-105 mins easy||90-95 mins easy||100-105 mins easy||80-90 mins easy|
*60-70min inc 25min Tempo: gradually build the pace towards tempo pace e.g. 5mins easy, 15mins easy/steady, 10mins steady, 25min tempo, 10mins easy/steady, 5mins easy. Tempo pace should be between threshold and half marathon pace (see notes below training plan).
**10min Tempo Hills +3mins easy +10min HMP (Half Marathon Pace) +3mins easy +10min Tempo Hills +3mins easy +10min HMP (Half Marathon Pace). For Tempo hills run continuous hills of 30-60 second duration – uphills should be ~3k intensity, downhills are run at a steady intensity so the average pace/intensity of the combined uphill and downhill is equivalent to a tempo effort.
***10min Threshold + 3mins easy + 5 x (2:30 at 10k pace, 60sec jog recovery) + 3mins easy + 10mins HMP (Half Marathon Pace)
Elite 10k Training Plan: Phase 3 (Main Training Phase Part B)
|Day||Week 9||Week 10||Week 11||Week 12|
|Mon||40-60mins easy||REST DAY||REST DAY||REST DAY|
|Tues||6 x 1600m (1-2% faster than 10k pace), 300-400m jog rec||5 x 1000m at 3k pace, 600m easy jog rec + 4 x 150m at Mile pace||5 x 2000m (1-2% faster than 10k pace), 400m jog rec||6-8 x 400m (mile / 3k pace), 400m jog rec|
|Wed||50-60 mins easy||40-60 mins easy / recovery||40-50 mins easy||40-50 mins easy|
|Thur||60-70 mins inc 25min Tempo||70-80 mins easy / steady||Hills – 10-12 x 45-60secs||5-6 x 800m at 10k pace, 200m jog rec|
|Fri||REST DAY||*10min Threshold + 3mins easy + 5 x 3 mins at 10k pace + 3mins easy + 10min HMP||40-50mins easy / steady||REST DAY|
|Sat||10min Tempo Hills + 3mins easy + 10min HMP + 3mins easy +10min Tempo Hills + 3mins easy + 10min HMP||40-60 mins easy, or, REST||60-65 min inc 20-25min Tempo||20-25 mins easy including 3-4 x 15sec strides|
|Sun||100-110 mins easy||90-100 mins easy||70-80 mins easy||10k Race|
*10min Threshold + 3mins easy + 5 x (3mins at 10k pace, 60sec jog recovery) + 3mins easy + 10mins HMP (Half Marathon Pace)
Elite 10k plan pacing, recovery and warm up/cool down information:
- 1) 10k pace intervals: Run intervals at 10k pace (aim for slightly quicker than 10k pace in weeks 7, 9 and 11). The following pages provide information on: >> 10k pace running intervals and pace targets for >> 10k pace intervals and recoveries.
- 2) 5k pace intervals: Run at around current 5k pace, recoveries should be easy enough to allow you to maintain the interval pace.
- 3) 3k – mile intervals: use current 3k-mile race pace, or, alternatively use an online race pace calculator to estimate these. To maintain the quality of intervals, keep recoveries very easy.
- 4) Threshold Pace: aim for a pace that you could sustain for approximately 50-60minutes in a race. For most runners this is slightly slower than 10k pace.
- 5) Tempo Pace: between 60min race pace and half marathon pace – ideally nearer to half marathon pace.
- 6) HMP = Half Marathon Pace.
- 7) Hills: 1) 45-60 sec hill efforts at around 1500m/3k intensity with jog down recovery between efforts. 2) 1:45-2:00 hills run at 3k/5k intensity with jog down recovery. Ideally the hills should be run on a gradient of approximately 4-6%. Include 4 x 10 accelerations before running the hills – run the accelerations up the hill you will be using for the hill reps. Include a good 15mins war up before hills and 5-10mins cool down.
- 8) Tempo Hills: continuous hills of approximately 30-60sec duration. Uphills should be ~3k intensity, downhills are run at a steady intensity so the average pace/intensity of the combined uphill and downhill is equivalent to a tempo effort. Read more about tempo hill intervals.
- 9) Strides: gradually build the pace during the strides so that you are running at about 80-85% effort over the final 5seconds.
- 10) Warm-up/cool-down for intervals and faster sessions: 15mins warm-up and 10-15mins cool down for all interval, and hill sessions. Include mobility and dynamic warm up exercises, drills and accelerations as part of the warm up.
- 11) Steady pace: Approximately 75-80% HRmax
- 12) Easy/Steady: Approximately 70-80% HRmax – if tired keep nearer to easy pace, if feeling well recovered then keep intensity nearer to steady.
- 13) Easy: Approximately 70-75% HRmax
- 14) Easy/Recovery: 65-75% HRmax